Re: Proposal: add a _NET_WM_DESKTOP_FILE

On Freitag, 13. November 2015 00:34:14 CEST, Carsten Haitzler wrote:

errr hmm doesn't sound too useful to me then?

At least it would have no further benefit, no. The only purpose seems to follow a specific naming pattern (
"hu.mplayer.mplayer" ?) but I agree that this requires specification outside NETWM (like XDG naming patterns
for desktop services, all compliant clients would use it on the suggested property anyway.

another property for this that can then specify whatever it likes

Yes, Allison pointed out that this doesn't target dbus interaction at all (so there's no benefit in mandating
the dbus name here)

not saying the client can know easily or not - the spec wording pretty much
says it should use abs paths only for custom desktop files and no path for
system ones.

Indeed, because the basename variant can then be fetched from the usual places in correct order.

actually some commercial apps do this kind of thing - install desktop files
in... fun places ro replicate the windows standard "do you want me to add
this icon to your desktop?". :)

Yes please, my desktop is full of non-visible icons :-P
But yes, that is a good usecase for a full path (which though will only be known from NET_STARTUP_*)

@Martin, I assume this means the spec must allow the WM to override basenames by absolute paths.

i have come to the conclusion long ago that the group words java, x11, and
client mix well with the word fail. :) i gave up long ago.

From the bugs KWin receives, I cannot but agree. Odd in some places, broken in all others :-P

Cheers,
Thomas