Re: Proposal: add a _NET_WM_DESKTOP_FILE

On Thursday, November 12, 2015 7:53:17 AM CET Carsten Haitzler wrote:
On Wed, 11 Nov 2015 11:20:35 -0800 "Jasper St. Pierre"
<jstpierre mecheye net>
said:
Given that most applications already have the WM_CLASS trick
correctly, why can't we just say that users should try to match
WM_CLASS to their desktop file correctly? I don't see a reason to add
a new field when WM_CLASS already does what we want.

this is what we've been doing for years. use _NET_STARTUP_ID as a definitive
(we launched this and thus we know the desktop file that was associated
with that launch - so just use that desktop file and ignore all else" or
fall back to _NET_WM_PID (track child pid from launch of desktop file) and
if that doesn't work - guess-o-rama based on WM_CLASS. it works really well
99% of the time in regular desktop usage.

i see this property as yet another bit of info to add into the guessing
pipeline above. likely throw it in after the startup id matcheroo or the
pid match (as i'd prefer to use that first for the cases that people make
custom desktop files with different icons that launch the SAME binaries but
with different options, and using what the process provides is less
accurate here)

yeah, my motivation was triggered by stumbling over some of our matching code
and thought "we can do better". As Wayland has such a hint I thought it might
be helpful for everybody to have it on X11 as well.

Cheers
Martin