Re: Proposal: add a _NET_WM_DESKTOP_FILE

On Wednesday, November 11, 2015 11:21:44 AM CET Allison Ryan Lortie wrote:
I understand that this doesn't correspond exactly to your original
intention with this addition,

no it's worse: it makes the part which I wanted to fix impossible. Which would
mean that:
a) I scratch what I wanted to fix
b) willfully break the spec
c) add a KDE specific additional property to get what I wanted in the first
place

but I think your original intent is
unrealisable: you will either have many apps that provide nothing at
all,

which is fine! This is an optional flag. It's not a requirement. The proposal
(after Thomas update) will say that the window MUST NOT specify the desktop
file if it doesn't know it. If it cannot be matched to a desktop file: that's
fine.

or you will have some apps that provide something other than the
desktop file name.

This would be a clear violation of the spec. Adding a requirement to add DBus
to it, will not fix windows ignoring the spec and passing in wrong data.

This is the same problem as the previous attempt to solve this problem:
there was a proposal at some point that the wmclass should be equal to
the name of the desktop file.  For many apps this was true, but coverage
was never 100%.

Right, because you cannot change the meaning of an existing property and then
assume that it will work. Because of that I propose a new additional protocol
applications can opt-in to when they can provide the information.

Cheers
Martin