Re: Proposal: Add a window state for "undecorated" windows

I guess I'm curious then, what's the goal? What does this provide beyond the Motif hint?

If it's "nothing, it's just standardizing it", then I'm against it. CSD requires a complete solution, and I'd rather see a complete solution standardized than a slightly-less-bad Motif hint.

I could add support in mutter for the new state, but I wouldn't port GTK+ to it. The Motif hint has wider reach across a wide pool of existing WMs, and we'd just be regressing for no real gain. Not to mention that on WMs without support for client-set frame extents, we keep the "border" hint on so that users can resize the window through the WM-provided borders, even if they don't get a server-side titlebar.

On Thu, Feb 20, 2014 at 11:38 AM, Martin Graesslin <mgraesslin kde org> wrote:
On Thursday 20 February 2014 10:23:41 Jasper St. Pierre wrote:
> There's a bunch of open questions about this state. If a window is
> CSD-drawn, does it include drop-shadows, or should the compositor draw
> drop-shadows?

thanks for the feedback. I think there is a small misunderstanding in what I
wanted to achieve with the proposal. It's not to come up with the ultimate way
to handle CSD - I think it's obvious that I'm the wrong person to propose that
;-)

The idea is really just to make a modern way for the motif hint. Whether or
how CSD styling is done is IMHO completely orthogonal. Especially the
consideration of shadows is something which has nothing to do with whether the
window is decorated or not. The hint to not decorate the window is clearly
relevant for the window manager and the styling is clearly relevant to the
compositor. Thus it addresses two completely different parts and should IMHO
not be mixed.

Cheers
Martin