Re: Proposal: Add a window state for "undecorated" windows

There's a bunch of open questions about this state. If a window is CSD-drawn, does it include drop-shadows, or should the compositor draw drop-shadows?

If the compositor should still draw drop shadows, what happens if the client uses ARGB32 to get rounded corners, how does the compositor efficiently calculate a shadow? Does it take the alpha channel of the composited pixmap and do a blur on the GPU (your rounded corners look fine, but your transparent terminal is a bit too dark)?

If the client draws the shadow, how does the WM decide where the boundaries of the window are for snapping / maximization? It would be awkward to drag the window to the left and see an invisible shadow edge tile.

To solve this I proposed a client-set _NET_WM_FRAME_EXTENTS property on this list a little while back, but didn't hear any response.

On Thu, Feb 20, 2014 at 2:23 AM, Carsten Haitzler <raster rasterman com> wrote:
On Thu, 20 Feb 2014 07:37:59 +0100 Martin Gräßlin <mgraesslin kde org> said:

we're in the middle of release stabilization for efl1.9 ... so kind of busy. :)

> Hi,
>
> this is now two weeks without any reply :-( It would be really great to get
> some feedback. Our feature freeze for both Frameworks 5 and KWin 5 is
> approaching...
>
> Cheers
> Martin
>
> On Wednesday 05 February 2014 11:39:42 Martin Gräßlin wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > as it's getting more common to do client side window decorations and this
> > part is not standardized at all [1], I want to suggest that we add a
> > distinct state for this (_NET_WM_STATE_UNDECORATED). Please see attached
> > patch to the spec. And please propose any improvements to the wording.
> >
> > If we get this in, I suggest to update the toolkits to use this in addition
> > to the Motif hint. I will take care of changing Qt of course (which btw.
> > already uses a KWin-specific hint). With other toolkits I'm not familiar
> > enough to try to change them :-)
> >
> > Looking forward to your comments.
> >
> > Best Regards
> > Martin Gräßlin
> >
> > [1] Just last week we got one bug report about Motif handling being broken
> > in KWin, and one "bug report" about a toolkit abusing
> > _NET_WM_WINDOW_TYPE_SPLASH for undecorated windows.

The Rasterman (Carsten Haitzler)    raster rasterman com