Re: [EWMH] _NET_WM_WINDOW_TYPE_AUXILIARY

On Sat, 2007-10-13 at 10:08 +0000, Tuomo Valkonen wrote:
> On 2007-10-12, Lubos Lunak <l lunak suse cz> wrote:
> > Currently many applications still don't support the
> > new window types
>
> So? They don't support that shit, so the compositing manager doesn't
> really know what it should do to their windows. Tough. Better not mess
> with them then.
>
> The originally proposed AUXILIARY type as opposed to EFFECT seems
> more suited to working around crappy toolkits or such forcing a
> window type being specified. override-redirect windows _are_
> normally "auxiliary" windows that the WM or the compositing
> manager shouldn't mess with. (Although some of them, such as
> menus, would arguably be better as managed windows.) So an
> AUXILIARY type would simply tell it again that "yes, this really
> is an auxiliary override-redirect window that you shouldn't mess
> with although this hint is set for some strange reason".

The problem currently is that we desire many windows which are defined
as override-redirect windows (menus for instance) to be animated anyway
(e.g. menus and tooltips should fade in and out). So, in the current
situation, an AUXILIARY/EFFECT window type would might be a redundancy
semantically speaking, but a needed one.

Denis