Fwd: Pager/switcher per workspace or per screen

> The window list isn't showing all workspaces, though. Sorry for any confusion.

O.K. I think we just have a lack of common definitions here. To me, a
pager is just the display of workspaces and what windows are on them.
The window list applet in gnome-panel, for me, falls under the
category of toolbar.

Anyway, if that's what you plan on integrating, then I can definitely
see the value in that. I don't think you could easily cram all of the
possible options for alt-tab into one window hint (for instance, I
have a keybinding for "if no firefox window is open, open one, or else
cycle through all open firefox windows"). I would suggest something
along the lines of a window hint for the toolbar listing all of the
windows it's displaying.

> > > No, because alt-tab should be implemented by the window manager.
> > > Allowing a pager to become a window manager is a recipe for pain.
> >
> > I don't see why it must be implemented by the window manager.
>
> Well, no, I don't think it's set in stone anywhere, but I don't recall
> running into many arrangements where it wasn't implemented by the WM.

Blackbox's is implemented in the program bbkeys. And, of course, twm
doesn't have alt-tab at all, so anybody using that would have to use
something like superswitcher (if twm even implements EWMH).

> > For
> > instance, I see http://code.google.com/p/superswitcher/ as a perfectly
> > reasonable application. These sorts of programs are exactly what EWMH
> > is for, in my opinion.
>
> You don't think EWMH is also for allowing parts of a desktop
> environment to communicate interchangeably?

Yeah, but that's boring. What interests me is that people can write
new programs (or just shell scripts with wmctrl or devilspie) to solve
problems and distribute it to people using a wide variety of window
managers.

  Mark