Re: Still need a hint for undecorated windows

On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 11:45:54 +0200 Lubos Lunak <l lunak suse cz> babbled:

>  There is a way to identify a particular app and window from it uniquely. For
> app, just WM_CLASS, for a specific window WM_CLASS + WM_WINDOW_ROLE. The
> ICCCM is quite clear on these I think, and that's what KWin uses for
> identifying windows for its window-specific settings. Of course, a large
> number of apps get it wrong, either completely or just kind of wrong[*], and
> the first release of KWin with this feature didn't work that well because I
> had to add detection of the various ways of getting it wrong.

thats the problem. my current favorite examples are anything SDL or wine based.
wine sets ALL widnows to class wine - WRONG. it should at least be the app.exe -
as now 1 wine window for 1 app is the same as another - not so. SDL does the
same. no matter how u go with the specs - apps get it wrong. forcing something
in xlib might help...

> [*] From my understanding of the relevant parts of ICCCM, app Foo should
> generally set its WM_CLASS to "foo", "foo" (resname, resclass), or for a
> specific instance it should be "<whatever>", "foo", where <whatever> is
> specified using -name. WM_WINDOW_ROLE should uniquely identify any window
> within a specific app instance. The most usual ways of not getting it quite
> right include adding version to resclass, using resname instead of
> WM_WINDOW_ROLE or simply setting some rubbish there (Mozilla,OOo). But that's
> a fault of the apps, not of the spec.

i know - thus i was thinking another property we specify for a unique ID and
then lets punt it into xlib?