Re: Still need a hint for undecorated windows

On Thu, 23 Jun 2005 17:01:06 +0200 Bradley T Hughes <bhughes trolltech com>
babbled:

> Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman) wrote:
> > btw - whats up with qt's icccm take_focus handling? if you send a
> > take_focus client message (as per icccm) WITHOUT first setting the
> > focus on the window - qt doesnt honor the request and take the focus
> >  (even though it advertises that it does take focus protocol). the
> > icccm doesnt say the window must have been focused first :) have i
> > monumentally misunderstood the icccm or is there some deeper meaning
> >  behind doing this?
>
> Qt uses the Locally Active Input model described in section 4.1.7: "The
> client expects keyboard input and explicitly sets the focus, but it only
> does so when one of its windows already has the focus."
>
> This is indicated by setting the accepts_input field in WM_HINTS and
> WM_TAKE_FOCUS in WM_PROTOCOLS.
>
> I wouldn't call this a bug, but then again, it's all a matter of
> interpretation, right? :)

aah yes - thanks - i misread that section :)

> > ie this works:
> >     ecore_x_window_focus(bd->client.win);
> >     ecore_x_icccm_take_focus_send(bd->client.win,
> >     ecore_x_current_time_get());
> >
> > this does not:
> >     ecore_x_icccm_take_focus_send(bd->client.win,
> >     ecore_x_current_time_get());
> >
> > gtk advertises take focus proto and it does work with this. is it
> > possible you guys have a bug? :)
>
> Sounds like they are using the Globally Active Input model, where the
> accepts_focus field is not set. This allows the client to decide if it
> wants to accept the focus or not.

oh i have sections handling each input model- this was just the one handling the
locally active one :) i just misread it. thanks. clarified. i think after
reading icccm for a while you go brain dead. i do this every few years for
punishment "did we get our icccm compliance right" stuff... :(

> --
> Bradley T. Hughes - bhughes at trolltech.com
> Trolltech AS - Waldemar Thranes gt. 98 N-0175 Oslo, Norway

The Rasterman (Carsten Haitzler)    raster rasterman com
裸好多                              raster deephackmode org
Tokyo, Japan (東京 日本)