Re: Still need a hint for undecorated windows

Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman) wrote:
> On Wed, 22 Jun 2005 22:25:47 -0400 Havoc Pennington <hp redhat com>
> babbled:
>> How about
>> _NET_WM_WINDOW_TYPE_AUDIO_APPS_ALL_THINK_THEY_HAVE_TO_HAVE_NONSTANDARD_UI
>>
>> ;-)
>>
>> and _NET_WM_WINDOW_TYPE_GKRELLM_IS_LEET_TOO
>
> fun aside - it's a valid thing to ask for imho. why should people be
> limited to only fit in the mould given to them?
>
> if "standard" were for everyone we'd all live in the same house,
> drive the same car - of the same color, wear the same shoes, clothes,
>  have the same furniture etc.
>
> freedom of choice is good. if a developer wants their app to have no
> borders it should be well supported imho.

Indeed.  This is something that comes up quite often in our bug reports
and support requests.  People want to do this, and our answer always has
to be "On X11, the window manager may ignore the borderless hint." I
don't think it's necessary to be able to control individual decorations
like you could using _MOTIF_WM_HINTS, but the possibility of turning off
 all decorations is sorely needed.  I, for one, would also like to see
more policy spelled out for the various window types, but I'll leave
that discussion for another day.

Bradley T. Hughes - bhughes at trolltech.com
Trolltech AS - Waldemar Thranes gt. 98 N-0175 Oslo, Norway