Re: EWMH Release

On Fri, 15 Apr 2005 10:55:29 +0200 Lubos Lunak <l lunak suse cz> babbled:

> On Tuesday 12 of April 2005 12:08, Carsten Haitzler wrote:
> > speaking of proposals... i should come out of lurk mode...
> > the virtual desktop specs are a little inadequate. basically for e17 you
> > can have more than 1 virtual desktop visible at once (internally the
> > implementation is done using "zones" a zone being a region of the screen
> > (much like xinerama) that displays one of N virtual desktops (in a NxM
> > gird) attached to that zone). the spec assumes display of 1 desktop at a
> > time globally on 1 root. that kind of doesn't ... err... work as there are
> > 2 or 3 or 4 or N active desktops in e17 (so for now i simply have to ignore
> > ewmh for this)
> >
> > the question is - do you want to stamp a release or continue adding things
> > like this. i personally don't mind one way or another as this kind of thing
> > becomes hard to support for pagers etc. and likely just wont be supported,
> > but imho its the much better HID paradigm for things like multihead
> > xinerama where each head has its own virtual desktop. (so far the feedback
> > is 100% in favor of this too)
>
>  I think something like this would be complicated enough to take some time to
> discuss and get into the spec. The 1.3 as it is now is already quite widely
> used, and I don't think there's anything that'd have to definitely go in
> right now. IMHO we should simply stamp 1.3 and start with 1.4.

fair enough :) i'm happy to ignore the virtual desktop stuff for now - less for me to do :)

The Rasterman (Carsten Haitzler)    raster rasterman com
裸好多                              raster deephackmode org
Tokyo, Japan (東京 日本)