Re: EWMH Release

On Tuesday 12 of April 2005 12:08, Carsten Haitzler wrote:
> speaking of proposals... i should come out of lurk mode...
> the virtual desktop specs are a little inadequate. basically for e17 you
> can have more than 1 virtual desktop visible at once (internally the
> implementation is done using "zones" a zone being a region of the screen
> (much like xinerama) that displays one of N virtual desktops (in a NxM
> gird) attached to that zone). the spec assumes display of 1 desktop at a
> time globally on 1 root. that kind of doesn't ... err... work as there are
> 2 or 3 or 4 or N active desktops in e17 (so for now i simply have to ignore
> ewmh for this)
>
> the question is - do you want to stamp a release or continue adding things
> like this. i personally don't mind one way or another as this kind of thing
> becomes hard to support for pagers etc. and likely just wont be supported,
> but imho its the much better HID paradigm for things like multihead
> xinerama where each head has its own virtual desktop. (so far the feedback
> is 100% in favor of this too)

 I think something like this would be complicated enough to take some time to
discuss and get into the spec. The 1.3 as it is now is already quite widely
used, and I don't think there's anything that'd have to definitely go in
right now. IMHO we should simply stamp 1.3 and start with 1.4.

KDE developer
SuSE CR, s.r.o.  e-mail: l lunak suse cz , l lunak kde org
Drahobejlova 27  tel: +420 2 9654 2373
190 00 Praha 9   fax: +420 2 9654 2374
Czech Republic   http://www.suse.cz/