Re: Autoplacement hint

Ben Jansens wrote:

Can't you assume that the window manager actually supports the ICCCM in the
first place? What happens if a window manager claims to honor this new hint
and then figures it knows better in some situations anyhow? A window manager
that can't obey standards puts you in the same position in both cases.

It sounds like you're simply looking for a way to determine if a window
manager "works" (many don't very well), and just work around it with
unmanaged windows if it does not. Is there any reason you can't depend on
the WM following existing standards and just state that you don't support
using your softawre on broken ones?

Having to work around broken WMs is kinda counter-productive and unnessesary
in my opinion. I'd like to think toolkits shouldn't have to do these sorts of
things.

Ben

Well, I guess the issue is that the ICCCM is not really clear on whether you can change the PPosition that the program specified. To quote the ICCCM:

"To indicate that it was specified by the client without any user involvement, the client should set PPosition and PSize ."

That doesn't rule out the window manager changing the PPosition and PSize that I set. Perhaps we should add a clarification to the EWMH specification along the longs of:

If a program sets a valid PPosition and PSize, the window manager SHOULD NOT change them in any way.

I'd really like to have a toolkit that doesn't have to work around broken window managers, libraries and applications, but then the users of my toolkit will consider it to be broken. My guess is that many window manager authors will argue that autoplacement when PPosition is set is not in violation of the ICCCM. So what should I do?

Mike