Re: Autoplacement hint

You mean using USPosition and USSize? The following text from the ICCCM?

"To indicate that the size and position of the window (when a transition from the Withdrawn state occurs) was specified by the user, the client should set the USPosition and USSize flags, which allow a window manager to know that the user specifically asked where the window should be placed or how the window should be sized and that further interaction is superfluous. To indicate that it was specified by the client without any user involvement, the client should set PPosition and PSize ."

I'm using sawfish, and if I add USPosition | USSize to WM_SIZE_HINTS.flags, I still get autoplacement. Should this be considered a bug in sawfish?

Perhaps we could add a clarification that the WM should use USPosition and USSize to position the window if they are specified and not attempt to autoplace?

Mike

Rob Adams wrote:
Most window managers will honor an application's request to put the
window at a specific location, which is specified through hints not in
the EWMH, but rather in the original ICCCM on which the EWMH is based.