Re: Autoplacement hint

Regardless of what we do, we really can't do anything stronger than
USPosition and USSize -- if a WM doesn't honor these hints then there is
no size or position hint that it would honor.  Size and position hints
are advisory by their nature.  Metacity will honor these hints, but for
example if the hint specifies that the window should be offscreen,
metacity will override them.  I think that honoring these hints is
better than not honoring them, as you indicate that sawfish does, but we
can't simply require that they be honored.

You simply can't define a "disable autoplacement" hint that would behave
well and make sense.  For example, if the "disable autoplacement" hint
were set, would metacity then be required to let applications place
their windows offscreen?

-Rob