Re: Pending 1.2 stuff

Lubos Lunak <l lunak sh cvut cz> writes:
>  Sorry, I know I'm a bit late, but I don't think this definition of
> STAY^H^H^H^HFLOATING is very good. It IMHO shouldn't just say 'above windows
> of the same type'. What if I e.g. want to have a normal window above (part
> of) dock window? With the current definition, I most probably just don't have
> any chance to do it. What would be the problem with using something like I
> suggested here
> http://mail.gnome.org/archives/wm-spec-list/2002-June/msg00016.html
> ?

So I think you may be right; what we were originally saying is that
_FLOATING would be "the kind of window xmms and gkrellm are," and in
that case we could just leave it up to the WM to establish how such a
window relates to dock windows and other kinds of window.

There is one other possible use of "on top" I've seen, which is for
dialogs that you might want to keep on top for some reason; one case
of this is say the ssh-add password dialog on login, maybe you want to
keep that above other apps that start up on login.

I don't _particularly_ want to mix this with the xmms/gkrellm case as
they may really belong in different layers.

I think KDE uses STAYS_ON_TOP in more of these general-purpose cases -
could you maybe grep the source code and generate a list of
STAYS_ON_TOP uses in KDE?

>  Havoc: Yes, sorry. Any special reason why the list doesn't change Reply-To:
> to point to the ML?

Well that's a very controversial topic. ;-) Haven't you ever seen a
"should lists set Reply-To" neverending thread? It's a classic right
up there with "emacs vs. vi"