Re: Pending 1.2 stuff

Matthias Clasen <maclas gmx de> writes:
> but I think you're right that onscreen keyboards deserve a separate
> semantic type, if only to allow WM to implement the right focus
> behaviour for them. I don't see how accessibility of the WM itself
> relates to this, however. _NET_WM_WINDOW_TYPE_ONSCREEN_KEYBOARD gets
> my vote.

accessibility of the WM is related since presumably you would only use
the onscreen keyboard if you are also using other accessibility
features. This may be a flawed assumption; I don't really know that
much about it.

Anyway if people are happy to do ONSCREEN_KEYBOARD we may as well put
it in, I was just worried there would be objections to such a special
case.

> Do you agree with replacing STATE_STAYS_ON_TOP with FLOATING with the
> semantics given in my patch ?

Yes, I don't see anything wrong with it. I'm not sure it would be used
for types other than NORMAL but if someone wanted to use it for docks
I guess it would be harmless. I like the way it only affects
relationship to windows of same type (so you can't cheat and use
FLOATING to implement something that should be marked as a dock).

> If so, do you think we should add the opposite _NET_WM_STATE_DROWNING
> (?) which would hint the wm to keep the window below other windows of
> the same semantic type ?

What is the use-case for this?