Re: Pending EWMH additions

Hi,

I'm just digging up an old mail that got mis-procmailed due to the cc
of wm-spec-list-admin.

"Matthias Clasen" <Matthias Clasen poet de> writes:
> > However, also for accessibility, you don't want to focus the onscreen
> > keyboard at all, not even in this "fake focus" sense. So the ICCCM
> > really doesn't express the required semantic.
>
> Never having seen an onscreen keyboard in action, don't these have window
> decorations/wm menus ? If yes, why don't you want them to be accessible by
> the keyboard ? If no, how about override redirect as a way out ?

I don't think the onscreen keyboard does have decorations, no.

One problem with override redirect is that the stacking order of
override redirect windows is pretty much undefined. For metacity I
define it as "always on top" in essence because I only ever move a
window just above or just below another managed window; I never
XRaiseWindow().  So this means metacity doesn't move stuff on top of
any override redirect windows. I wonder if we should formally document
this behavior?

I'm not sure if the onscreen keyboard needs to be managed for other
reasons, or not.