Re: Proposal for ConfigureRequest handling

On Thu, Aug 08, 2002 at 05:33:33PM +0200, Marko Macek wrote:
> Dominik Vogt wrote:

> >>I suggested (below) that NET_WM_PING is used for this.
> >>It is trivial to implement in the apps and must be registered in
> >>WM_PROTOCOLS if supported. It also has no extra special semantics for
> >>window management.
> >

> >I somewhat doubt that Java/AWT is going to support the whole NETWM
> >hints just to communicate a single property.
>
> Where does it say they have to support everything?
>
> They only have to implement NET_WM_PING.

You mean simply answering the ping indicates that the application
hounours the ICCCM rule about ConfigureRequests?  Well, then it
must *really* be written in the spec in big fat letters so that
new applications don't start to misuse ConfigureRequests again.

> My understanding is that most parts of the spec are optional.
> That's why we have _NET_SUPPORTED and that's why NET_WM_PING
> must be registered in WM_PROTOCOLS, etc...
>
> I certainly don't plan to implement everything in icewm
> (like scrollable desktop, etc...).

P.S.:  No need to reply to me personally, I'm subscribed to the
list.

Bye

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

 --
Dominik Vogt, mail: dominik vogt schlund de, phone: 0721/91374-382
Schlund + Partner AG, Erbprinzenstr. 4-12, D-76133 Karlsruhe