Re: Proposal for ConfigureRequest handling

On Thu, Aug 08, 2002 at 04:29:35PM +0200, Marko Macek wrote:
> > On Thu, Aug 08, 2002 at 04:00:52PM +0200, Marko Macek wrote:
> > > No. What I'm saying that if a window manager supports NETWM hints, it
> > should
> > > MUST comply with this ICCCM rule about window positioning (at least for
> > > NETWM compliant applications).
> >
> > Okay, how does the WM find out if an app is NETWM compliant?  The
> > application could set a property indicating this on its top level
> > windows.  That may be the better solution since it takes the
> > workload off the app programmers and lets the window manager
> > handle it.  On one hand it's much easier to do that in the WM
> > (because it knows the size of the decorations) and on the other
> > hand it's less error prone in the applications.
>
> I suggested (below) that NET_WM_PING is used for this.
> It is trivial to implement in the apps and must be registered in
> WM_PROTOCOLS if supported. It also has no extra special semantics for window management.

I somewhat doubt that Java/AWT is going to support the whole NETWM
hints just to communicate a single property.

Bye

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

 --
Dominik Vogt, mail: dominik vogt schlund de, phone: 0721/91374-382
Schlund + Partner AG, Erbprinzenstr. 4-12, D-76133 Karlsruhe