Re: issues for future version

Philipp Lohmann <Philipp Lohmann sun com> writes:
> This would e.g. be useful when you have dialogues that apply for
> multiple documents (e.g. the status window of an Input Method). This
> would be a little like transient but for multiple windows. But it is
> not really the same: I'd like to have the possibility to advise the
> window manager like "this is a window that should not be hidden by
> my other windows" which would be specific to a window group and
> should not interfere with another window group. But perhaps there
> are applications that want a window in front of ALL other windows.

Hmm. I'd like to come up with the relevant semantic types...

I've been reading the Mac Human Interface Guidelines and that gets you
thinking about all this. Mac only supports 6 semantic types, pretty
much:

 - normal document windows
 - modeless dialog
 - modal movable dialog      (application modal)
 - modal non-movable dialog  (globally modal)
 - alert box
 - utility windows (palette or toolbox windows)

Those all have well-defined behaviors which are totally consistent
across applications. We should be able to do just as well.

> I'd like that better as a property on the window. Should the window
> manager decide to change this status (e.g. what happens if another
> client tries to do the same), then it could simply change that
> property according to the new state.

"Presented" isn't a state though, it's just a one-time thing that you
do. Basically "reshow this window as you would have when it was first
mapped." It doesn't impose any constraint after the one-time action.