Re: issues for future version

----- Original Message -----
From: "Havoc Pennington" <hp redhat com>
To: "Matthias Clasen" <matthiasc poet de>
Cc: <wm-spec-list gnome org>
Sent: Friday, August 31, 2001 5:13 PM
Subject: Re: issues for future version

> "Matthias Clasen" <matthiasc poet de> writes:
> > How does "presentation" differ from the concept of "activation" that is
> > already part
> > of the spec ?
>
> Activation is just focus, it wouldn't normally raise the window etc.

But if you read the section about activation under "Non-ICCCM features", the
spec already
says that activating a window may be more than "just" setting the focus
(since you can't set the
focus to an unviewable window).  Think about it: Why would you want to set
the focus to
a window  without "presenting" it so that the user acutally sees what he
types.

> (As I understand it, _NET_ACTIVE_WINDOW is to be used when you click
> on the task list button for a window. Presentation is what you do if
> someone chooses the Preferences menu item and the Preferences dialog
> is already onscreen somewhere. Some WM's may do the same for both...)

If its already onscreen, it should be enough to just raise it, no ?
Whats wrong with a plain XRaiseWindow in this case ?

Matthias