Re: issues for future version

Am 30.08.01, 18:55:10, schrieb Havoc Pennington <hp redhat com> zum Thema
Re: issues for future version:

> Sasha_Vasko osca state mo us writes:
> > TOPMOST_LAYER or BOTTOMMOST_LAYER, but instead something like
> > KEEP_HIGH_PROFILE/KEEP_LOW_PROFILE.
> >
> > Again I'm not a strong supporter of that stuff, just merely trying to
> > accomodate other's opinions, so I won't fight for that feature.

> I've don't remember the use-case for these hints. What sort of app
> should use them?

This would e.g. be useful when you have dialogues that apply for multiple
documents (e.g. the status window of an Input Method). This would be a
little like transient but for multiple windows. But it is not really the
same: I'd like to have the possibility to advise the window manager like
"this is a window that should not be hidden by my other windows" which
would be specific to a window group and should not interfere with another
window group. But perhaps there are applications that want a window in
front of ALL other windows.

> Another thing we should have is a window presenting feature - GTK+ for
> example has a function gtk_window_present() which raises the window,
> focuses it, etc. This is really a bit broken to do in the toolkit, I
> think the window manager could do a better job.

> I'd suggest simply sending an empty client message to the window you
> want to present, _NET_PRESENT_WINDOW. Then the WM should do things
> like raise the window, focus it, and get it on the current workspace
> (by either flipping spaces or moving the window).  It's up to the WM
> exactly what it does.

I'd like that better as a property on the window. Should the window
manager decide to change this status (e.g. what happens if another client
tries to do the same), then it could simply change that property
according to the new state.

Regards, Philipp