Re: issues for future version

Sasha_Vasko osca state mo us writes:
> Yes, IMHO window manager configuration is all that is needed here, but
> since
> there was such a strong demand for something along KEEP_ON_TOP lines, I
> would
> agree to yeld a little bit, and add hints. But not dictating hints, like
>
> TOPMOST_LAYER or BOTTOMMOST_LAYER, but instead something like
> KEEP_HIGH_PROFILE/KEEP_LOW_PROFILE.
>
> Again I'm not a strong supporter of that stuff, just merely trying to
> accomodate other's opinions, so I won't fight for that feature.

I've don't remember the use-case for these hints. What sort of app
should use them?

Another thing we should have is a window presenting feature - GTK+ for
example has a function gtk_window_present() which raises the window,
focuses it, etc. This is really a bit broken to do in the toolkit, I
think the window manager could do a better job.

I'd suggest simply sending an empty client message to the window you
want to present, _NET_PRESENT_WINDOW. Then the WM should do things
like raise the window, focus it, and get it on the current workspace
(by either flipping spaces or moving the window).  It's up to the WM
exactly what it does.