Re: issues for future version

On Thu, 30 Aug 2001, Sasha_Vasko osca state mo us wrote:

> root
> > >
> > > But that does not allow you to do shading and more fine-tuned tinting,
> > > [...]
> >
> >    Why realtime shading/tinting for a static background image? For
> > IceWM I added the possibility to announce another pixmap per
> > ROOT_PIXMAP_ID than displayed on the desktop. Yes that's really waste of
> > memory. But this approach blasting fast, allows amazing effects (your
>
> Do you mean you create more pixmaps - one for each shade/tint ? AFAIK
> - that's the exact cause of the fact that Eterm is such a memory hog.

	I have exactly two images in 1.0.9: DesktopBackgroundImage and
DesktopTransparencyImage.

	- when both configuration strings are empty no background image is
	  loaded
	- when only the first one is set the image specified is loaded and
	  the pixmap id generated is passed to XSetWindowBackgroundPixmap
	  and _XROOTPMAP_ID
	- when both are specified and differ the first one specifies the
	  image announced per XSetWindowBackgroundPixmap and the second
	  one specifies the image announced per _XROOTPMAP_ID.

	As said before: Quick, dirty and completely optional.

> Do you use ROOT_PIXMAP_ID or _XROOTPMAP_ID ? Latter is what's used by
> E and AfterStep.

	Excuse me for being not precise: In using the name _XROOTPMAP_ID.

> > imagination is the limit) and people insisting on this eyecandy normally
> > should have more than enough memory.
> >
> >    Something that really bugs me is the reaction of some apps on the
> > destruction of the ROOT_PIXMAP_ID (e.g. when you restart the window
> > manager): Some apps simply crash if you are not careful enough (e.g.
> > gnome-terminal). Other apps don't/hardly recover when your are careful
> > (XChat, Eterm). Being careful in my terms means removing of the
> > ROOT_PIXMAP_ID as soon as it becomes invalid.
>
> Naturally. You have to update property first then wait for some time,
> so that all the interested clients get PropertyNotify, and only then can
> you destroy the Pixmap. Otherwise clients may attempt to use invalid
> pixmap when ConfigureNotify comes in front of PropertyNotify.

	Hmm... Shouldn't it help simply to call XSync before destroying
the pixmap?

Ciao,
Mathias
--
WWW:           http://www.informatik.hu-berlin.de/~hasselma/
PGP/GnuPG:     1024-Bit DSA: ID 55E572F3, 1024-Bit RSA: ID EAAF7CF1