Re: manager selection for desktop manager

Havoc Pennington <hp redhat com> wrote:
> BTW, I discovered a KWin bug playing with this - if I hack nautilus to
> set _NET_WM_WINDOW_TYPE to DESKTOP, then run it under KDE, KWin gets
> really really confused - it can only handle one window of type DESKTOP
> apparently, looking at workspace.cpp bears this out.
>
> I was trying to add this hint as damage control until we have a
> manager selection allowing Nautilus to autodetect the conflict with
> kdesktop. (i.e., it would be nice to at least keep the double desktops
> under the panel instead of raising one to the top and hiding the
> user's session).

Aha, indeed.  So it would be useful to handle this similar to what
window managers do -- abort with an error message if another WM is
already running.  In the case of Nautilus, I suppose it could just
come up without the desktop manager if it detects another is already
running.  This already works with kdesktop itself (you can't run two
of them), but evidently that's because it's using KUniqueApplication.

But why "damage control" when a solution is already coming along?  The
"damage control" implementation will probably take just as long deploy
as the full solution and may cause future trouble.  I'm probably just
not understanding the whole picture anyhow.

Later,
-N.