Re: Initial window placement

Am 16.08.01, 18:42:41, schrieb Havoc Pennington <hp redhat com> zum Thema
Re: Initial window placement:

> Hi,

> Owen makes the important point that the client doesn't _know_ what an
> appropriate size for window + frame would be.

> If I have a dialog, I know that the dialog contents would appropriate
> be, say, 300x300. But I have no idea what an appropriate frame size
> is; the frame could be 200 pixels in all directions. So if I set frame
> size of 300x300, I could end up with a 1x1 pixel window.

> There are plenty of WM themes out there that give you a huge window
> border, or a tiny window border.

> So it's just conceptually hosed for the client to set the size of
> window + frame, because the client has no idea what a good size would
> be. It can only guess. And so by allowing clients to do this, we
> introduce an inherently broken concept.

I don't think so. Please take into consideration that there are still
min/max-width/height. In your example if 300x300 pixel is necessary,
simple set minwidth/height to 300. In case your dialogue can adjust then
allow for adjustments. And please, a decoration that is as large as half
my screen would certainly be the first thing that flew out of my window
:). Earnestly, the user can (and some will) always configure his system
into unusability. No way around it.

> Philipp you aren't trying to implement the AWT are you. ;-) I don't
> think we should bend to the AWT; the AWT designers simply screwed up
> in their specification here, and wrote something that is not
> implementable in any sane way on X. They should fix the AWT by adding
> working interfaces suitable for both win32 and X, and deprecating the
> old unportable ones.

I'm not :-) Actually, i am working on OpenOffice.org.

Regards, Philipp