Re: Initial window placement

Hi,

Owen makes the important point that the client doesn't _know_ what an
appropriate size for window + frame would be.

If I have a dialog, I know that the dialog contents would appropriate
be, say, 300x300. But I have no idea what an appropriate frame size
is; the frame could be 200 pixels in all directions. So if I set frame
size of 300x300, I could end up with a 1x1 pixel window.

There are plenty of WM themes out there that give you a huge window
border, or a tiny window border.

So it's just conceptually hosed for the client to set the size of
window + frame, because the client has no idea what a good size would
be. It can only guess. And so by allowing clients to do this, we
introduce an inherently broken concept.

Philipp you aren't trying to implement the AWT are you. ;-) I don't
think we should bend to the AWT; the AWT designers simply screwed up
in their specification here, and wrote something that is not
implementable in any sane way on X. They should fix the AWT by adding
working interfaces suitable for both win32 and X, and deprecating the
old unportable ones.