Re: Initial window placement

> Hi,
>
> ok, got that (i think the implementation note in the extended WM hints
> spec is at least misleading then, but maybe that's just me). But how
> would you then go about placing windows adjacent to another (if you chose
> to want that) ? E.g. it might be useful to place a dialogue next to a
> document window because it has a connected context but should not hide
> the document; a find/replace dialogue springs to mind here. Of course i
> could guess the position of the second by adding the decoration of the
> first, but the second may be decorated differently.

That is possible only when you have no more then 2 windows to place in each
direction using gravity . For example you could use East gravity on the
window on the left, and west gravity for the window on the right. That way
you are guaranteed that they will not overlapp, even after being resized.

It is not possible thou if you have more the 2 windows in each direction.
And I don't see that becoming possible unless you add some kind of
arrangement hint to tell Window Manger explicitely to place several windows
next to one another. Possibly idea for 2.0 specs ? I'm not quite sure that
this
is really needed thou, as it creates other problems, like potential
race conditions.

It is worth noting thou, that one can always use override_redirect
windows to solve above problem when lifetime of the windows is very short
( which is common for dialogs ).

> Regards, Philipp
>
> > That's not how it works. The size in the configure request is the size
> > of the client window, not the size of the frame around the client
> > window. There is no way for clients to request a specific size for the
> > frame. (Which is makes Java/AWT window size functions impossible to
> > implement correctly in X - a screwup in the AWT design.)
>
> > Havoc

Cheers
Sasha