Re: [Vala] valaDevelop

For me valaIDE didn't really solve any problems I had. What I would like is
a stable (so no Gnome Builder, that one is really crash prone with Vala
projects.) IDE with error checking, autocomplete and support for cmake
(preferably not tied to any build system). The closest I've gotten to a
good development environment is gedit + valencia (vala autocomplete)
(Though I consider the interface of modern gedit to be a bit of trainwreck).

For any previous IDE it was pretty much the same story, I lose more
functionality than I get by using the IDE, so I stop using the IDE
immediately. (And the previous IDEs were often quite buggy.)

I don't think it is a good idea to build a IDE specialized in Vala
development as the community is far too small and will likely stay that way.
It would probably be better to make a language server implementation for
Vala.

Because of all of this I don't really get excited when someone makes a new
IDE. And, yes, the IDE not being open source didn't help, but it certainly
wasn't the only reason.

With fright I had to realize that all these OPENSOURCE projects no
longer work with modern systems.
No one has enhanced or fixed something, even though it's open source!

Well if the IDE wasn't worth using why work on fixing them? Getting these
IDEs in what I consider a good shape would also have taken too much effort.
More effort than it would take me to just write/improve a plugin for a text
editor like gedit. (Not that I really have had the time to do that besides
some small fixes.)

     Jonathan Moerman

Op vr 10 mei 2019 om 17:33 schreef Wolfgang Mauer <