Re: [Vala] Vala++

From: Alessandro Pellizzari <alex amiran it>> Sent: Tuesday, 4 April 2017, 13:47
Subject: Re: [Vala] Vala++

On 04/04/17 13:28, Al Thomas via vala-list wrote:

You seem to over talking Rust and under talking Vala.
No, I don't. :)
Rust is a hard beast to learn. It took me months to have a decent grasp
of it, and I'm still missing many "rustic ways" of doing things, while
in Vala I was productive in weeks.

May be that's why Rust is still labelled a systems programming language.
So it's in the same application space as Erlang. Vala is a lot more
fun and gives people who are not systems and software engineers the
opportunity to express their ideas. Although Vala has and needs all
levels of abilities.

But, on the other side: no memory leaks, no segmentation faults, no
concurrency mess-ups (unless you try VERY hard).

Vala is pretty good on this, but hopefully you took a little bit of
your time and reported the problem you had with Vala. Just as Rust
users do:
https://github.com/rust-lang/rust/issues/4494

Also Vala links to libraries that may cause such problems. I'm not
sure how Rust deals with that. I found this in the Rust docs:
https://doc.rust-lang.org/book/ffi.html#ffi-and-panics
but that says "Please note that catch_unwind() will only catch
unwinding panics, not those who abort the process."

Is there a lot of wrapping? The initialisation of GTK uses wrapping
in the example:

What I'm saying is exactly what you said: Rust has many more resources.
It's growing much faster (it is not even 2 years old).

I guess that must be a typo. Looks like the first commit was back on

16 June 2010:
https://github.com/rust-lang/rust/commit/c01efc669f09508b55eced32d3c88702578a7c3e
Or maybe you mean from the 1.0 release. Looks like that was 15 May 2015:
https://github.com/rust-lang/rust/blob/master/RELEASES.md#version-100-2015-05-15
So yes, five years from first commit to 1.0 release is pretty good.

Inevitably, in a couple of years, it will be ahead of Vala even in Gtk/Gnome

support, unless hundreds of developers adopt Vala now.