Re: [Vala] Vala++

On 04/04/17 09:47, Ulink wrote:

I simply can't understand why the Gnome people seems to hate or at least
ignore Vala and instead promote Javascript or Rust or other weird stuff.

I really like Vala, and I also really like Rust, so don't hate me for this post. :)

I think the main problem is that Vala is a very small ecosystem (few core developers, few users), ha a "proprietary" syntax, even if it's similar to C# and is strongly oriented towards Gtk software (as it's based on GLib)

Rust, on the other hand, is a general language, that can be used for many things: CLI apps, OS kernels, C-compatible libraries, GUI apps, servers, web apps, etc. etc.

Bacause of this, the ecosystem is many times bigger, so it's easier to find skilled devs, but also crates (linkable libraries), bindings for current libraries, etc.

So, on the long run, I am afraid/glad it's gonna replace Vala completely.

Bye.