Re: [Vala] Vala++

On 04/04/17 13:28, Al Thomas via vala-list wrote:

From: Alessandro Pellizzari <alex amiran it>

You seem to over talking Rust and under talking Vala.

No, I don't. :)

I know all you have linked. I have been following this ml since 2008. I also know the article by esr and agree, in part, with him.

Rust is a hard beast to learn. It took me months to have a decent grasp of it, and I'm still missing many "rustic ways" of doing things, while in Vala I was productive in weeks.

But, on the other side: no memory leaks, no segmentation faults, no concurrency mess-ups (unless you try VERY hard).

I don't want to advocate rust (but try it. You will hate it. And then you'll love it :).

What I'm saying is exactly what you said: Rust has many more resources. It's growing much faster (it is not even 2 years old). Inevitably, in a couple of years, it will be ahead of Vala even in Gtk/Gnome support, unless hundreds of developers adopt Vala now.

I am sorry about it because I really liked the idea behind Vala.
I am glad about it because it's a safer language.

Bye.