Re: [Vala] Vala in Python - More progress and a question

On Sun, 2013-04-21 at 09:21 +0200, Donn wrote:
On 20/04/2013 21:14, Evan Nemerson wrote:
..  it's generally a good idea to use
GObject-style construction [1].  In your original example, simply
replace "public RedSquare()" with "construct" and it should work as
expected.

Appreciate that, thanks. I shall read up and hack it thus.

A question?
In this thread I have "loaded" Clutter (library and whatever else it
loads) in Python.
  I have also included (I am not sure of the wording) Clutter into Vala
(by way of the --pkg in valac) to some extent - where I made a
Clutter.Actor object.

I run Python which loads my library: How many times has Clutter now
loaded into memory? Once or twice?

It depends a bit on how you define things, but the answer you're
probably looking for is "either zero or one times".

When you load a shared library the memory actually used is shared not
just within the same process, but across all processes using that
library.  In all likelihood, some other process (like gnome-shell) is
already using Clutter and your program using Clutter doesn't require any
additional resources.

-Evan

[1]
http://virtualthreads.blogspot.com/2006/02/understanding-memory-usage-on-linux.html