Re: [Vala] information on dova

Martin DeMello wrote:
On Wed, Jul 21, 2010 at 7:21 PM, Abderrahim Kitouni <a kitouni gmail com> wrote:
Hi,
في ر، 21-07-2010 عند 14:51 +0200 ، كتب andi:
Hi list,
I was wondering if anyone could give me or point me at some information
on dova and its aims. I've been googling for quite some time now and
read a bit of code in the gitorous repo. Of course, I also found the
page on live.gnome.org.

Its aim is mainly to have vala without the quirks and limitations of
GObject. Vala with dova should be closer to Java and C# than now (but
it'll still be better ;-))

How will that affect the writing of gtk and gnome apps?

I don't think it's meant for GTK+/GNOME development, nor is it
"GObject 3.0". Dova is an alternative object system for Vala,
unrelated and incompatible to GObject, and requires its own library
stack (or runtime bindings).

If you want to write GTK+/GNOME applications you're better off with
Vala's GObject default profile which does not require runtime bindings.

Dova is the answer to how an object system would look like if it was
designed specifically for Vala, without any compatibility
considerations. And it seems to be Jürg's playground for new Vala
features that he will eventually port to the GObject profile once he
considers them to be reasonable.

You can use Dova if you're adventurous and do not need GObject
compatibility.

Best regards,

Frederik