Re: [Vala] when will vala 0.8 be released?

Jerry Tan wrote:
Michael 'Mickey' Lauer :
Am Mittwoch, den 18.11.2009, 09:48 +0100 schrieb pancake:
I hope not.

0.7.8 was released the past week and IMHO there are so many bugs, patches to review before a new release. There are not so many commits these days and I dislike to see version bumps without so many changes.

To be fair, this are not regression bugs, but bugs that have been there
since long.

Yep, I was not trying to blame Vala :P Just to show that most of the commits after
0.7.8 are related to .vapi and not the compiler itself.

I have about 15 test cases of invalid C code generated with partial patches waiting to be reviewed and waiting to have more spare time to fix those bugs in a better way (im learning the vala internals at train trips). This is why I am looking for the
vala hackaton.

I think Vala core need more maintainers.

While that may be true as well, I think even more important would be a
split into -language and -bindings, since Vala bindings could and should
be more often released than Vala language.
yes, I agree.

split vala into vala-core and vala-bindings.

or just like gstreamer,
gstreamer project has gstreamer , gst-plugin-base, gst-plugin-good, gst-plugin-bad.

vala can also have vala-core, vala-binding-base, vala-binding-experimental.

Yes, this takes sense, because vala-core and vala-bindings doesnt need to have the same release ratio. And now that there are separated developers to maintain the
bindings it takes even more sense.
Btw few weeks ago I got the idea about to organize bugfixing hackaton for vala. I think it will be good to specify a scheduled hackaton every N months via irc to fix as much bugs as possible, learn moreabout the language, the compiler internals, etc.

Splendid idea!
Any proposal for the initial date?

Who has commit rights on the vala-core? Because looks like juerg is the blocking, because he has not much time and I have about 5 patches to be reviewed since two weeks ago,
and i'm waiting to have them in mainstream to continue fixing other bugs.

I understand that the patches must be reviewed before being included, but I also understand that if the main developer is busy in other projects, but the community gets locked which is not good.

--pancake