Re: [Vala] Minor features request (about structs and enums)

Wolter Hellmund wrote:
I don't see the benefit of these forms versus

struct Object {
     int id;
     float mass;
}

respectively

enum Process {
     CONSTRUCT,
     RUN,
     DESTROY
}

or did you miss that these are available?

Oh, I totally missed that! I thought those were typedef kind of
declarations,

They are type definitions. I don't think this is what you meant.

  struct MyStruct {
      // ...
  }

  MyStruct my_struct = ...

I think you wanted to define a variable of an anonymous struct/enum type
(i.e. without naming the type). This is possible with C and C++ but not
with Vala, Java and C#.

Now, as to reply Frederick:

Well, I think that

foreach (MyEnum item in MyEnum.values) { ... }

would tell the system that item is an enum itself, and to look for
instances of it in MyEnum (thus to look for enums in an enum), am I
wrong? If not, then I'll consider filing a bug with the following
structure

foreach (MyEnum.Item item in MyEnum) { ... }

The type of an enum value (item) is the enum type itself:

enum MyEnum {
    A,
}

MyEnum item = MyEnum.A;

Frederick: Also, good to have you back from Germany (someone tole me you
were away) I am going to show you how my SDL thing turned out later.

You can send me an email.

Best regards,

Frederik