Re: [Vala] Minor features request (about structs and enums)

Am Montag, den 02.11.2009, 11:59 -0600 schrieb Wolter Hellmund:
I think Vala is missing some minor features related to type declarations
(such as structs and enums) that both C and C++ have and are really
useful.

For example, if you are to declare a single struct in C or C++, you can
just do:
-----------
struct {
      int id;
      float mass;
} Object;
------------
In Vala, you cannot (as far as I know by experimentation.

Such is the example with the enum:
------------
enum {
      CONSTRUCT
      RUN
      DESTROY
} Process;
------------
Again, Vala does not support this kind of declaration.

I don't see the benefit of these forms versus

struct Object {
        int id;
        float mass;
}

respectively

enum Process {
        CONSTRUCT,
        RUN,
        DESTROY
}

or did you miss that these are available?

Another feature that might be out of context, and I don't know if its
implemented but nor Google nor the people at the IRC channel have been
able to answer me, is enum iteration.

foreach ((what type?) item in MyEnum) { ... }

That's not possible indeed. It might be handy, please open a bug ticket.

Thanks,

:M: