Re: [Vala] just a suggestion

2009/1/23 Karl Lattimer <karl qdh org uk>:

Karl, you also seem to be interested in a "Writting GNOME Applications
with Vala" approach as I do. Would you be interested in kick start
with me a parallel book with a more tutorial-alike approach?

Sounds like an idea, I mean the things I'm most interested in are how to
start from an idea, and turning it into a nice player in the GNOME
desktop. This is why I favor the over-riding theme approach of writing a
book that is writing an application. It doesn't have to be a massive
app, but one that does all of the things that we generally need to know
about in GNOME e.g. dbus, i18n, a11y, databases, GTK and alike.

I am not an expert of wikibooks. But wikibooks are not classic paper books.

I mean they are not meant to be read necessarily as a classic book,
from start to end. We can make a comprehensive book that the reader
can choose to read as a whole or to navigate.

Pick up http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/C_Sharp_Programming which is a
featured wikibook. There is not a book like "thinking in c sharp" or
"c sharp tutorial".

In the end, I was trying to say that we don't have (necessarily) to do
many books for different classes of reader and different approaches or
points of view.

I'm not trying to withhold your contribution to this title. Just,
think about it.

--Luca