Re: [Vala] just a suggestion

2009/1/22 Xavier Bestel <xavier bestel free fr>:
Hi Phil,

On Tue, 2009-01-20 at 19:49 +0000, Phil Housley wrote:
* Intro
      o History
            + GLib/GObject
            + Gtk
            + Vala
      o Programming style
            + OO
            + Signals
            + Loops
      o Caveats
* First Program
      o Hello World
      o Explanation

How about something a bit more practice-before-theory ? I mean,
head-first we have a lightly explained "Hello World", then more boring
stuff about objects and programming style.

Agree.

Seriously, I don't think that would work. People don't want to learn
OO Signals and Loops just for fun, that's not how learning works. You
have to give them a goal first, and you have to push them to learn
those concepts while they're getting to the goal, if you give them all
the concepts, you can't expect that your readers would have the clue
on how to use them out of the blue.

That list is okay for a language reference document, but not if you
really want to help people to learn and get excited about Vala.

Anyway, just my opinion.

       Xav