Re: [Vala] just a suggestion

2009/1/20 Karl Lattimer <karl qdh org uk>:
If we're going to do this as a team I suggest that we outline a strategy
before we begin.

Here are some chapters we'd want to consider, I'm starting off with ones
which I'd be happy to write;

 * Custom Widgets
 * Cairo & Pango
 * GTK Applications

 * File handling
 * Database applications
 * Language introduction & reference
 * DBus
 * Common pitfalls and caveats (reserved words and similar)
 * GObject from a vala perspective
 * Nicely formatted API reference for all available vapi
 * Translation

Please append to this list ;)

Within the chapter structure there would have to be an over-arching
theme, I suggest what we do is take a single example application which
has a requirement to touch a large proportion of vala, gtk, cairo,
sqlite/mysql and more and produces a simple fun application that is
actually useful.

Essentially I suggest we gear it towards a how we made this
application.

Anyone else have any thoughts on this kind of approach?

I was thinking about this a while back when I was writing the
tutorial, I have a short contents list that I'll post here as soon as
I get home this evening.  I really do intend to get back to updating
the tutorial/docs any day now, so I'll help out with anything else
where I can.  Also, anything that I've written already I'm happy to
see copied, as long as it stays open of course.

--
Phil Housley