Re: [Vala] install on Ubuntu 8.10?

Glen Worstell wrote:
Hi all,

I installed vala using synaptic and the 'hello world' sample worked
fine. However, the libraries required to do anything real did not get
installed. I messed with it for an hour or two and gave up.

Could someone post clear installation details so one can do a complete
installation including necessary libraries, paths, etc?

tia,
glen.

The Vala version that comes with Ubuntu 8.10 is pretty old and will not
work with most of the samples from the wiki. You sould deinstall the
package and instead download the current release from

 http://live.gnome.org/Vala/Release

extract the archive, then compile and install it with:

 ./configure
 make
 sudo make install

Additionally you may want to install the following packages via Synaptic:

 libgtk2.0-0      (GUI toolkit)
 libgtk2.0-dev
 libgee0          (Collections)
 libgee-dev

For every library that you want to use you must install the respective
*-dev package.

Regards,

Frederik