Re: [Utopia] GNOME Power Manager "redesign"

On Thu, 2005-04-21 at 21:59 +0100, Richard Hughes wrote:
> On Thu, 2005-04-21 at 20:30 +0100, Bastien Nocera wrote:
<snip>
> > http://gnome-power.sourceforge.net/images/gpp-laptop.png
> > - "Mains" is British English. The default language for GNOME software
> > (to my displeasure :) is American English
>
> Okay.

I don't even know what American English is for that, but I remember it
being something else :)

> > - What's the difference between hibernate and "soft suspend"? And "soft
> > suspend is a bit technospeak.
>
> Hibernate is suspend to disk. Suspend is suspend to RAM. Maybe I should
> just put those...

I should have put that differently, I know what they are, but are we
expecting the users to.

<snip>
> > http://gnome-power.sourceforge.net/images/gpp-batteries.png
> > - Are there secondary batteries? How do I tell them apart from primary
> > batteries?
>
> Primary is laptop, secondary is mouse, but the distinction isn't
> important anymore as less options are presented to the user.

Just battery would be fine, they can probably figure out that it's the
laptop's when they can't plug their mouse in the mains power :)

<snip>
> > http://gnome-power.sourceforge.net/images/gpp-buttons.png
> > - What's a lid button?
> > - Why aren't the power and sleep buttons setup in the keyboard
> > preferences?
>
> Lid button is when you close a lid. Power and Sleep buttons are the
> physical buttons on the front of your computer,

I knew that as well, I wrote my own ACPI scripts :)
I was just worried about the wording. It's not a button, it's what
happens when you close the lid.

<snip>
> Yes, I grew up in Onslow Village. I return to Guildford next year to
> continue my degree. Wow. The third person from Guildford developing
> GNOME. It's a small world.

Oh? Who's the second one then?

> I've included the mockup UI that I'm working on as a result of all these
> comments from people. Comments are most welcome :-)

I actually preferred the original mockups. In this mode, you can't see
what the values are for the other modes. It's one of the biggest flaws
of the equivalent dialog in Windows.

---
Bastien Nocera <hadess hadess net>