Re: [Utopia] GNOME Power Manager "redesign"

Hey Richard (neighbour[1]),

On Thu, 2005-04-21 at 18:44 +0100, Richard Hughes wrote:
> Now I know GNOME Power Manager is new, but I want your input on the
> Human Interface Guideline stuff... - I've attached some screenshots of a
> quick glade file DavidZ and myself have been talking about.
>
> It's a redesign of the old preferences program:
> http://gnome-power.sourceforge.net/gpp.php#screenshots

Here goes:

http://gnome-power.sourceforge.net/images/gpp-server.png
- Remove GNOME from the dialog title, it has no use.
- The lightbulb bit has a typo, and it isn't necessary, as the dialog
title says it's preferences for power, and the tab is computer.

http://gnome-power.sourceforge.net/images/gpp-laptop.png
- "Mains" is British English. The default language for GNOME software
(to my displeasure :) is American English
- What's the difference between hibernate and "soft suspend"? And "soft
suspend is a bit technospeak.

http://gnome-power.sourceforge.net/images/gpp-ups.png
- Lightbulb not necessary as well. If the user has a UPS, they probably
know what it's for.

http://gnome-power.sourceforge.net/images/gpp-batteries.png
- Are there secondary batteries? How do I tell them apart from primary
batteries?
- "Display icon..." is probably not what you want. How about "Display
icon only when power is low", meaning that the battery icon would always
be shown if unticked?
- When does power fail for a battery? It's probably too late to do
anything if it's empty.

http://gnome-power.sourceforge.net/images/gpp-display.png
- LCD probably isn't the right thing to use, and some machines can
control the brightness of a CRT in software (my old iMac could for
example).
- How does that integrate with screensaver preferences? Should the
screensaver preferences be there as well? Should it choose to have no
screensaver when running on battery?

http://gnome-power.sourceforge.net/images/gpp-buttons.png
- What's a lid button?
- Why aren't the power and sleep buttons setup in the keyboard
preferences?

http://gnome-power.sourceforge.net/images/gpp-wireless.png
- When wouldn't you want to know when the power is low on your
mouse/keyboard/PDA?
- Why would you display an icon all the time?
(I think this whole tab can go, not displaying the power icon unless
power is low, and showing a warning when it becomes low)

Great work on getting the power stuff integrated.

Cheers

[1]: Unrelated, but I live just by the Uni of Surrey where I think
you're studying, right?
---
Bastien Nocera <hadess hadess net>