Re: [Utopia] GNOME Power Manager "redesign"

On Thu, 2005-04-21 at 20:30 +0100, Bastien Nocera wrote:
> Hey Richard (neighbour[1]),
>
> On Thu, 2005-04-21 at 18:44 +0100, Richard Hughes wrote:
> > Now I know GNOME Power Manager is new, but I want your input on the
> > Human Interface Guideline stuff... - I've attached some screenshots of a
> > quick glade file DavidZ and myself have been talking about.
> >
> > It's a redesign of the old preferences program:
> > http://gnome-power.sourceforge.net/gpp.php#screenshots
>
> Here goes:
>
> http://gnome-power.sourceforge.net/images/gpp-server.png
> - Remove GNOME from the dialog title, it has no use.

Done.

> - The lightbulb bit has a typo, and it isn't necessary, as the dialog
> title says it's preferences for power, and the tab is computer.

Done.

> http://gnome-power.sourceforge.net/images/gpp-laptop.png
> - "Mains" is British English. The default language for GNOME software
> (to my displeasure :) is American English

Okay.

> - What's the difference between hibernate and "soft suspend"? And "soft
> suspend is a bit technospeak.

Hibernate is suspend to disk. Suspend is suspend to RAM. Maybe I should
just put those...

> http://gnome-power.sourceforge.net/images/gpp-ups.png
> - Lightbulb not necessary as well. If the user has a UPS, they probably
> know what it's for.

Point taken.

> http://gnome-power.sourceforge.net/images/gpp-batteries.png
> - Are there secondary batteries? How do I tell them apart from primary
> batteries?

Primary is laptop, secondary is mouse, but the distinction isn't
important anymore as less options are presented to the user.

> - "Display icon..." is probably not what you want. How about "Display
> icon only when power is low", meaning that the battery icon would always
> be shown if unticked?
> - When does power fail for a battery? It's probably too late to do
> anything if it's empty.

My bad wording. Power fail is meant to be where the ac power fails and
the battery starts discharging. I'll make it more clear.

> http://gnome-power.sourceforge.net/images/gpp-display.png
> - LCD probably isn't the right thing to use, and some machines can
> control the brightness of a CRT in software (my old iMac could for
> example).

Sure, didn't know that. LCD brightness isn't in HAL yet, so I'll leave
this option out for now.

> - How does that integrate with screensaver preferences? Should the
> screensaver preferences be there as well? Should it choose to have no
> screensaver when running on battery?

We need to work out where the screensaver/power split is made. I'm in
two minds about this one.

> http://gnome-power.sourceforge.net/images/gpp-buttons.png
> - What's a lid button?
> - Why aren't the power and sleep buttons setup in the keyboard
> preferences?

Lid button is when you close a lid. Power and Sleep buttons are the
physical buttons on the front of your computer,

> http://gnome-power.sourceforge.net/images/gpp-wireless.png
> - When wouldn't you want to know when the power is low on your
> mouse/keyboard/PDA?

Point.

> - Why would you display an icon all the time?
> (I think this whole tab can go, not displaying the power icon unless
> power is low, and showing a warning when it becomes low)
>
> Great work on getting the power stuff integrated.
>
> Cheers
>
> [1]: Unrelated, but I live just by the Uni of Surrey where I think
> you're studying, right?

Yes, I grew up in Onslow Village. I return to Guildford next year to
continue my degree. Wow. The third person from Guildford developing
GNOME. It's a small world.

Thanks for your comments, most appreciated.

I've included the mockup UI that I'm working on as a result of all these
comments from people. Comments are most welcome :-)

Thanks again, Richard.