Re: [Utopia] Re: [Gnome-Power-Devel] power mgmt in GNOME; requirements?

On Tue, 2005-04-19 at 22:48 +0100, Richard Hughes wrote:
> On Tue, 2005-04-19 at 17:30 -0400, Daniel Gryniewicz wrote:
> > Some people (notably me) close the lid because they're carying their
> > laptop to another place (say, desk to conference room), and would be
> > quite put out if something went and suspended it for them.
>
> Me too - it drives me *wild* when my girlfriends WinXP does this -
> disconnecting my IM and email and stopping anything that's processing -
> but she says she likes it this way -

And that's exactly why things like Evolution and Gaim should talk to
g-p-m via the session message bus (via something like the API that I've
sketched) and delay suspend just enough to flush buffers, close
connections and so forth.

The same argument applies when you lose your wireless network connection
because you move out of range; Colin describes that very well here

 http://verbum.org/blog/freesoftware/dialog-war

> I think it's personal preference.

Maybe - I'm not convinced we can't fix our apps cope with suspend /
networking issues though. Either way, the discussion is kind of
pointless right now as the preference we're discussing isn't nominated
for removal :-)

Cheers,
David