Re: [Utopia] gnome-vfs patch, take one

On Fri, May 14, 2004 at 07:48:15AM +0100, Ross Burton wrote:
> Remember that some distributions (i.e. Debian) don't have the
> concept of "at the console" and use groups and permissions to
> access devices.
>
> If I login to my desktop, and then my gf uses System->New Login,
> we can both access the sound devices [1], CD-ROM drivers, etc.

Right.

Maybe what we need is a function on the GNOME- or xdg-level that
returns TRUE if the session is shown on a local console and FALSE if
it isn't?

And maybe some work has to be done on other distros to change
permissions on device files when the session on the local console
changes. And maybe we need to consider what to do when more than one
local console (e.g. two monitors, two keyboards, two mice) is
attached.

Would this work? Care to implement this? :-)

Hope this helps,
David