Re: [Utopia] gnome-vfs patch, take one

On Thu, 2004-05-13 at 19:16 +0200, Sjoerd Simons wrote:
> > But I see little point in showing icons for unmounted volumes, I mean
> > why should we in this patch assume g-v-m is not automounting media?
> > And if the use for some reason have disabled automounting, he should
> > be able to mount it himself from the commandline. That's my opinion
> > anyway..
>
> g-v-m will only mount media when it's inserted/hot-plugged. When one logs in
> with a cdrom already inserted or a camera already plugged in nothing happens.
> Which is nice, because i don't really want my dvd player to startup when i log, because i left a dvd in the drive or something like that....

I submit that is a bug in g-v-m.

When you login g-v-m should silently mount media and when you logout  it
should unmount it. If you have enabled auto mounting, that is. Similar
semantics should be implemented when someone gets around to implement
fast user switching (or what's it called) on the console.

> Also i don't think it's nice to ``force'' people to use the command line, just
> because they don't use gvm or have disabled automount. But i'm not the one
> writing the code :)

Anyway, I can see problems having icons for unmounted media. One of them
is that we want to teach users to click unmount media before yanking it
out of the computer - it would just feel odd if the icon didn't
disappear, wouldn't it?

It's not that I'm totally against changing this behavior, I just see
little gain and potential usability problems. And in certain cases, my
experience tells me that the person writing the code should be the last
one to decide policy and defaults :-)

Cheers,
David