Re: [Usability] Will be the fallback session still maintained in the future?

On 03/05/2012 03:19 PM, Philip Ganchev wrote:
Why do you find that Gnome Shell is "not intuitive, time wasting and
not compatible with a productive environment"? What do you mean by
these things?

Opinions from yet another Gnome Shell user:

"Not intuitive" -- I want to launch an application. I activate 'Activities' and am presented with far too many icons. I have to move (why ??) the cursor from the left side of the screen to the right side of the screen ("time wasting") amd select a type-of-application. That reduces the icon multitude to something manageable. I am finally able to launch the application, (Was this "intuitive"? -- Not for me.)

"Time wasting" -- In Gnome 2 I could put the icons for my most-used applications in the top panel, and with a single click launch another copy of that application. The best I can do in Gnome Shell is activate 'Activities', move the cursor to the appropriate icon in 'Favorites', right-click, and select 'New Window'. To me, having to do three actions instead of one (for such a common thing) is a time-waster.

"Productive environment" -- I want my workspaces statically allocated (so I know which is which). I don't want a window that I reposition upwards to suddenly overlay my other windows. I want to select which icons appear in 'Favorites' -- NOT every application that I've launched.

In essence, I first pre-populate my workspaces with the tools I will be using to do my work. From then on I'm interested in __switching__ as quickly as possible from one thing to the next. [Any "searching" quickly gets annoying - that Gnome Shell feature just gets in my way.]

My $0,02.  mikus

p.s. Clicking on the data in Gnome shows the current month. In Gnome 2 one could click on a caret and see the next month. In Gnome Shell one is restricted to viewing only the current month. (Progress ??)

And in Gnome Shell the date is dim unless hovered over. I've got weak eyes - I'd prefer to SEE the date without having to move the cursor.