Re: [Usability] Backup program name

Déjà vu is known in German as well. Actually, I wouldn't translate a program
name at all. A minor problem with "Déjà dup" are special characters which I
cannot write easily and a more relevant is the connection between dup and
backup. So why not "Deja backup"?

Am Sonntag, 3. April 2011, 18:21:27 schrieb Michael Terry:
> Hello!  I'm the maintainer of Déjà Dup, a backup program that this
> list last saw when I asked for a usability review (which I've recorded
> the suggestions from and have been slowly implementing many of the
> changes, so thanks so very much!).
>
> It has belatedly come to my attention that Déjà Dup is a terrible name:
>
> 1) It's not translatable in any meaningful sense
> 2) No one knows how to pronounce it
> 3) I've had users continue to say Déjà Vu instead, even after having
> been corrected
> 4) It doesn't shout "I'm a backup program" to new users
>
> In it's favor:
>
> 1) I think it's cute
> 2) I can usually append the phrase "Backup Tool" to its name in
> ambiguous contexts so it's clear what it does
> 3) It's been in use for a couple years
>
> However, I am more than willing to entertain a rename.  I thought I'd
> email ya'll for advice on whether you think a rename is warranted,
> name suggestions, experience from any renames you may have experienced
> in the past.
>
> Thanks,
> -mt

Dr. Heiko Tietze
Senior-Consultant

Wir binden Anwender in Entwicklungsprozesse ein.

Apliki
Psychologische IT-Beratung
Tempelhofer Ufer 1a
10961 Berlin

Fon +49 · 30 · 99277999 · 0
Fax +49 · 30 · 99277999 · 9
Mob +49 · 179 · 1268509
Mail heiko tietze apliki de
Netz www.apliki.de
Apliki GmbH & Co. KG, Berlin, AG Charlottenburg, HRA 39114

Persönlich haftend:
Apliki Beteiligungs GmbH, Berlin, AG Charlottenburg, HRB 104921
vertreten durch: Steffen Eßers, Björn Balazs